April is National Counseling Awareness Month. This time is set aside to not only honor those professionals who do the work, but to help people understand the indisputable–and often lifesaving–role benefits of counseling plays in treatment.
This is a time to celebrate the hard work and dedication of counselors and therapists, who help individuals and families overcome challenges, improve their mental health, and achieve their goals. These are just a few benefits of counseling. But more than that – it is also an opportunity to honor the hard work, vulnerability, and bravery of those who face their issues head-on with the help of a wise counselor.
For those trying to beat addiction, the benefits of counseling include serving as a bridge that guides people into the deeper work required to truly achieve happy, long-term sobriety.
At Scottsdale Providence, we have a seasoned counseling staff that is committed to providing high-quality, evidence-based counseling services to our clients. Our counselors have decades of experience working alongside those looking to banish old behaviors, recover from substance use, treat trauma and address mental health issues.
The Importance of Counseling in Addiction Recovery
Addiction is a complex disease that affects the brain, the body, and behavior, and it often co-occurs with mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety, and trauma. To be sustainable, the addiction recovery process requires more than just detox and abstinence; it also demands people address the underlying psychological and emotional issues that led to the problem in the first place.
The benefits of counseling are undeniable and it is a crucial component of addiction treatment because safely guides people to face their demons and helps them develop the skills and strategies needed to manage cravings, cope with stress and triggers, and maintain long-term sobriety. More benefits of counseling include helping people to repair broken relationships, improve communication skills, and develop a more positive sense of self, all of which are essential for a contented life post treatment.
Benefits of Counseling in Addiction Recovery
There are countless benefits of counseling offered in the recovery process. Here are just a few:
- Improved Mental Health: Addiction often co-occurs with mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD. Counseling can help individuals address these underlying issues and develop healthier coping mechanisms, leading to improved mental health and a better quality of life.
- Increased Self-Awareness: Substance use can cloud judgment and make it difficult to recognize the impact of one’s behavior on themselves and others. Counseling offers a window of insight, allowing people to shine new light on their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, leading to increased self-awareness and a greater ability to make real changes.
- Enhanced Coping Skills: Recovery is a lifelong process, and life keeps coming! Counseling supports people as they learn to manage stress, navigate difficult relationships, and face the world sober on a daily basis. Counseling offers effective coping skills and strategies to help people meet these challenges and while maintaining recovery.
- Improved Relationships: Addiction can damage relationships, seemingly beyond repair, and make it difficult to form new ones. Counseling can help people heal their relationships, improve communication skills, and develop a healthier connection with themselves and others.
- Increased Resilience: Recovery is no walk in the park, and there will be setbacks along the way. Counseling can help people develop resilience and maintain a bright outlook, helping them to overcome obstacles and face life successfully.
Our Seasoned Counseling Staff
At Scottsdale Providence, we have assembled a world-class team of seasoned, compassionate, and trained professionals.
We bring a combined 120 years of experience in the treatment industry and have helped countless people on the road to lasting recovery. We are more than clinicians, case managers, and counselors. Each member of our team shares an abiding commitment to every client that comes through our door.
At Scottsdale Providence, our work is motivated by a genuine desire to connect people with real solutions – so they can live the lives they’ve always wanted and experience the benefits of counseling.
Our counseling services include individual counseling, group counseling, family therapy, and aftercare planning. We use evidence-based therapies such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), and motivational interviewing (MI) to help our clients achieve their goals and maintain long-term sobriety.
We believe that addiction recovery is a holistic process that requires addressing the physical, psychological, and emotional aspects of addiction. There are many benefits to counseling and we would love to help you on your journey to recovery. Our counseling staff works closely with our medical and clinical staff to ensure that our clients receive the comprehensive care they need to achieve lasting recovery.
Want to know more? Reach out today. We’ll be happy to hear from you!